Self-care is a hot topic in today’s society, especially for busy, usually overachieving women. My client did a recent google search on “what does the Bible say about self care?” and there were “about 131,000,000 results (0.47 seconds).”
And that got me thinking: how does self-care factor into redefining hustle to emulate Jesus as we work? I mean, I don’t see Jesus enjoying a spa day or a Calgon-take-me-away moment anywhere in the Bible.
Still, as God’s workmanship, we are commanded to care for each other and our bodies as His temple. What about renewing our minds (Romans 12:1-2)? Is that self-care?
While we’ve talked about rest here on the podcast (check out episode 186 and episode 163), this is more than rest. And because self-care can be defined so many ways in society, I wondered if we ever seek God’s truth of what it means, and why it’s important to business as we walk out His assignment in the marketplace.
I believe this goes beyond 1 Corinthians 6:19’s instruction: your body is a temple, to see culture’s unrealistic expectations (and pigeon-holing self-care as a spa day) vs. God’s definition and direction: nourishing our bodies for strength, Jesus giving us rest when we’re weary, and honoring God by caring for our body, mind, heart and soul in His comfort, for His glory. God designed you as a unique and multi-faceted being, made up of your body, mind, spirit, heart and soul, then your self-care is as unique as you are. It’s truly whatever makes those parts of you experience His glory, and I think, makes you say “ahhh” in the most calm and joyous ways.
We cover three key ways we honor self-care from a godly perspective:
1. Take care of your whole person as His temple and the salt of the earth (8:12) – this includes feeding your soul with the Word on a regular basis, and seeking His kingdom first
2. Set boundaries and keep them (10:35) – saying NO to some things allows you to give God your best YES. Be sure to catch my point about being limited (10:43)…because only in Him are we “unlimited”
3. Make time for solitude and self-care (12:25) – we can never “find” time, we have to make time, meaning make self-care a priority and part of your business routine & strategy.
So as you listen, close your eyes for a minute (not if you’re driving!), take a deep breath and think: what do you love that fills you with more energy and that feeling of ahhhh. THAT, my friend, needs to be part of your self-care priority!
These scriptures were referenced in the episode for you to read along or study:
1 Thessalonians 5:23
1 Corinthians 6:19
RESOURCES FOR FOLLOW UP
Episode 186: REST for Redefining Hustle
Episode 163: The Best Kept Secret in Your Business is Rest
Empowered for Balance – Self-Care for Busy Christian Moms: https://www.empoweredforbalance.com/product/reclaim-yourself-coaching-in-a-box/
Blog by Sarah Symonds: https://bit.ly/3EPCMH9
Blog by Hayley Mullins: https://bit.ly/3ELTtDu
YOUR CALL TO ACTION
1. Download 4 Keys to Redefine Hustle: https://erinharrigan.com/4Keys
2. Visit my live ROOTED group coaching: https://erinharrigan.com/ROOTEDvisitor
WORK WITH ME
Schedule your FREE discovery call to explore 1:1 coaching: https://erinharrigan.com/discoverycall
GET YOUR SIGNED COPY OF MY BOOK
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON SOCIAL
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed